Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Artic Blizzard


Today, I walked to work at the complex in Iqaluit, which is about a 10 minute hike from where I currently reside. When I left the house, the temperature was approximately -48C with wind chill. As I walked, I realized that forgetting long johns at home was a bit of a mistake.

My Ipod, tucked away in a jacket pocket became a tiny digital ice cube. It was so cold out, that it froze the Ipod, making the buttons inoperable. Even under Gore Tex outer shells and wool pants, my legs became sore from the cold.

I don't know how the explorers did it.

Skip ahead a couple hours, and Iqaluit's schools were shut and heavy machinery and taxi services were stopped. The town had come to almost complete standstill.


(Photo credit: Visit and learn)


Thankfully, one of my bosses drove me home.

The cold storm appears to have passed for today. The weather is currently a balmy -16C (-27C with wind chill). Tomorrow's forecast calls for another low of -46C. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment