Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One Step Closer - Nerves Are Setting In

Go on a journey
And roam the streets
Can't see the way out
And so use the stars
She sits for eternity
And then climbs out

I've become so used to this craziness
That it's now compulsory
--Sigur Ros (English Translation of "Glosoli" or "Glowing Sun")
Update: Knowledge helps fight fear - the blogger community of the north has some information for the soon-to-be Nunavummiut - Townie Bastard has the FAQs for the uninitiated.

Today, I made arrangements with the moving company for the packing and shipping/storing of our things from our one bedroom in Vancouver. The whole journey/move to the great white north is becoming a fast approaching reality.

(Photo Credit Fly Fishing Home)
I guess it would be more than a little ironic if I were to say that I am getting "cold feet". (-->WTF? My humour is getting more dad-like all the time, damnit.)

I am a bit of a white knuckle flyer, so that doesn't exactly help with the nerves. I guess that paranoia of flying kicked in on one flight from Dallas, TX to Seattle, WA on late summer's night full which included a 4 hour thunderstorm on the way. This was compounded a couple of years later by a nightmare 12 hour Osaka to Los Angeles flight that included severe turbulence for several hours.

I guess turbulence isn't as bad as some people's flight experiences, such as my uncle, whose airplane was caught in a massive air pocket over Mexico and fell several thousand feet only to right itself before the plane was out of control. Or consider the plight of these passengers over Nunavut:
At least two passengers aboard a northern flight that missed an airport runway in Nunavut earlier this month say they feel lucky to be alive, but may never fly north again.

On Dec. 13, a Dornier aircraft operated by Summit Air skidded to a halt on the tundra about 1½ kilometres from the airstrip at Cambridge Bay, a remote hamlet in western Nunavut.

All 12 passengers and two crew members escaped with no major injuries, thanks in large part to a quick local rescue effort.
[...]
Fellow Summit Air passenger Dan Gaudet of Moncton, N.B., said he still can't stop thinking about the incident, even two weeks after it happened.

"I mean, not too many people say they were in a plane crash and walk away," Gaudet said.

"They say your life flashes before your eyes. All I … remember was seeing my daughter, holding my daughter for the first time, and watching my wife walk down the aisle. When we hit, that's all I saw."
That doesn't help. Poor guy, though.

Anyways, I am super nervous and super excited. This is going to be a huge leap into he unknown for me. I've done it before, but not like this. When I was going to university, I left my hometown in Northern BC for the city. When I left Vancouver for Japan, it was a jump into a radically different culture.

Even if this experience is half as rewarding as either one of those ones, then this will be a great move and well worth the nervousness.

Getting out of your comfort zone is a huge pain, but if done in the right frame of mind there is a huge payoff.

Here's Sigur Ros' "Glosoli (Glowing Sun)"

No comments:

Post a Comment